- 3 cups organic wholegrain stone ground spelt flour
- 3 tsp organic baking powder (try Mrs Flannery’s or Wrays Organics)
- 1 tsp organic bi-carb soda
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 1 cup organic walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup fresh organic dates, chopped and seeds removed
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 3/4 cup organic olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
Pre-heat the over to 180 degrees. Line a large bread tin with baking paper. Mix the flour, baking powder, bi-carb soda, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl using a wooden spoon. Add walnuts and dates. In a separate smaller bowl, combine banana, olive oil, eggs and honey until mixed through. Add to dry mixture and combine using wooden spoon until just mixed through. Don’t over stir or the bread will be tough. Bake for 45 mins, or until skewer comes out clean. Cool in tin wrapped in a tea towel to keep moisture in before serving with butter, or ricotta and honey. Keep the bread wrapped in the baking paper that was in the baking tin in an airtight container.
Wholegrain stone ground spelt flour is crumblier than other flours, because it includes the whole grain, so the texture of the bread will be too. Cut the bread into thick slices and toast to serve to help and make sure the bread stays moist by keeping it wrapped in the baking paper.
Be warned, my husband says this is the best banana bread ever, so eat it mindfully!