Mmmm veggies! There are so many great vegetables out there to try. Coming up with new and fun ways to eat them is always a nice way to increase your intake of daily nutrients! This dip is creamy and easy snack to make for when you need an afternoon pick me up. Try out this delicious recipe today!
- 250 g canned lentils (drained weight)
- ½ small brown onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp curry powder
- olive oil
- Rinse the lentils gently under cold running water. Let the lentils drain well for a couple of minutes.
- Peel and chop the brown onion and the garlic clove. Warm a splash of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat and add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Stir well and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until the onion starts to soften and become translucent. Then add the tablespoon of tomato paste.
- Stir the cooked onion again with the tomato paste and then add the drained lentils (you can keep a tablespoon of them aside for garnish if you like).
- Cook for another minute and then season the cooked lentils with a little pinch of pepper, salt, and half of the curry powder.
- Stir the lentils to incorporate the spices and then take the pan off the heat. Let the cooked lentils cool for a couple of minutes and then transfer them to a blender or food processor.
- Pulse the lentils quickly into a fine paste. Add 2 tablespoons of cold water and a drop of olive oil for the consistency you like.
- Pulse again. The lentil puree should be smooth but not runny at all. Check the seasoning one last time and add extra pepper, salt or curry powder to taste if necessary.
- Put the lentil puree into a serving dish and garnish with the remaining lentils if you kept some aside. Sprinkle with a little olive oil, dash of freshly ground black pepper, and parsley for extra garnish. Serve this dip lukewarm or at room temperature.
- Serve, and enjoy with some yummy pita chips or toasted pita bread!
Recipe courtesy of June Darville <3