With the intense summer heat that has been sweeping through Queensland we thought it was the perfect time to introduce you to Shitali Pranayama. Giving you a breath of fresh air our Zamasana for February is the go-to pose if your needing to cool off and there isn’t a pool in sight!
Shitali Pranayama meaning “the cooling breathe” is an amazing way to cool down the body and bring a sense of calmness. It is an amazing way to improve your focus; reduce feelings of anxiousness and anger and expel heat from the body.
HOW TO PRACTICE SHITALI PRANAYAMA:
- Find a comfortable seat on the floor or chair, relax both shoulder and keep the spine straight.
- Roll up the tongue lengthwise or move the tongue so that it forms a ‘O’ shape, and move it forward out of the mouth.
- Draw the breathe in through the tongue. Once you have filled your lungs with the breathe draw the tongue in and close the mouth.
- Release the breathe out through the nose.
- Repeat for 8 to 12 breaths.