Try these delicious gluten-free, no added sugar and dairy-free (if you cook with oil) pancakes!
- 1/2 cup besan (chickpea) flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- butter or oil for cooking
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl until there are no lumps and the batter is a smooth texture.
- Heat a pan with a little butter and when hot, spoon mixture in to form pancakes.
- When the edges firm and bubbles appear in the middle (the way my nanna taught me!), flip them!
- Cook for a few seconds on the second side and then turn out to a plate.
- Serve with yoghurt and blueberries. These would also be delicious with sliced banana added to the mixture and cooked with the pancake (my favourite). They are also wonderful savoury – make the batter a little thinner (less flour and/or more water, but still enough to hold together) and serve with shallots, cheese, tomato and rocket.